Trusted Leaders In the
Practice of Family Law
Howard B. Soypher
- Family Law
- Estate & Trust Litigation
Howard Soypher is an experienced litigator and family law attorney. In 2022, he was inducted as a Fellow into the American College of Trial Lawyers. Fellowship in the College is extended by invitation only and only after careful investigation, to those experienced trial lawyers of diverse backgrounds, who have mastered the art of advocacy and whose professional careers have been marked by the highest standards of professionalism, civility and congeniality. Membership in the College cannot exceed one percent of the total lawyers population of any state.
As an experienced litigator, Howard knows that it most often better for families to resolve their issues outside of a courtroom setting in an effort to better control their outcome, reduce animosity and reduce expenditure on legal fees. This experience allows Howard to carefully weigh settlement offers for his clients and help position them in determining the most efficient and probable path toward a successful outcome.
In addition to his family law practice, Howard has been representing clients in trusts and estate litigation for over 25 years. His practice includes will contests, pursuing rights on behalf of trust beneficiaries and representing trustees in the course of performing their duties.
Howard is currently serving a 2-year term as the President of the Maryland Chapter of the American College of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML). The AAML is a national organization whose members are recognized for maintaining the highest degree of professionalism, integrity and excellence in the practice of family law.
Among the accomplishments that Howard is most proud of is the fact that many local lawyers have retained him to represent them in their own personal matters. Howard is frequently asked to speak at continuing educational seminars for other lawyers and judges on various family law topics, as well as various trial strategies and tactics. He enjoys doing so with the hope that some of his prior experiences will be of benefit to newer lawyers.
Among the accolades that Howard has received was his being named Best Lawyer's Washington D. C. Family Law "Lawyer of the Year" for 2021.
- Maryland, 1996
- District of Columbia, 2005
- University of Baltimore School of Law, Baltimore, Maryland
- J.D. - 1996
- Honors: cum laude
- University of Maryland
- B.A. - 1993
- Fellow, The American College of Trial Lawyers, 2022
- Best Lawyer’s Washington D.C. Family Law “Lawyer of the Year” for 2021
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America for 2019-2021
- Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, 2011-present
- Washingtonian Magazine, Top Lawyers, 2007-present
- Washingtonian Magazine, Top Divorce Lawyers, 2007-present
- Washingtonian Magazine, Prenuptial Agreements, 2005
- Maryland Super Lawyers, 2012-present
- “Top 100 Lawyers in Maryland,” Maryland Super Lawyers, 2016-present
- “Top Family Law Lawyers,” Maryland Super Lawyers, 2020
- Washington D.C. Super Lawyers, 2012-present
- “D.C. Top 100 Lawyers,” Washington D.C. Super Lawyers, 2016-present
- Bethesda Magazine, Top Divorce Lawyers, 2013, 2017, 2019, 2021
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated